This guide will show you how to load your Tshwane Bus Service card at Absa in 7 easy steps with pictures.

What will you need?

You will only need your Tshwane Bus Service card and don’t need to have an account with Absa. You will need enough money that falls within the following range and has no change at all the amount needs to be square.

Travel PointsPrice
Connector R20R20,00
Connector R60R60,00
Connector R80R80,00
Connector R100R100,00
Connector R150R150,00
Connector R200R200,00
Connector R350R350,00
Connector R500R500,00

So if I bought the connector R60 I would need to have R60 straight, not an R70- R100 because the machine does not return change. Let’s get started.

1. Insert your card in the ATM

Make sure that the ATM you are using allows cash deposits otherwise you’ll not have the option to load your card, follow by inserting your card in the ATM.

2. Choose your language

You have the option to then pick a language more understandable to you, pick one we will use English to make this tutorial inclusive of everyone.

3. Enter your pin

When you registered the card you had to pick a pin of your choice and enter that pin, you need to use that pin.

4. Acknowledge the terms and conditions

Acknowledge the Bank waiver and read through the conditions of using the service to load your card with points.

5. Pick Transit Load on the contactless transaction menu items

If all has gone well you shall see a screen with menu items you need to locate “Transit Load” whenever you want to load money on your card.

6. Pick your provider

Once you have selected transit load you should also select your provider in this case Tshwane Bus Service is our provider – So City Of Tshwane is what we will choose.

7. Choose a product category

8. Pick the amount you would like to deposit

Picking the amount you would like to deposit, it is important that the amount you deposit is exactly the amount you selected

9. Deposit, confirm the deposit and receive card and receipt

You can then put the money inside the notes deposit slot and then confirm your deposit amount and then the Absa bank will do the rest for you and return your card and receipt. All deposits reflect immediately and you can return to climbing your bus as usual.

Please leave a comment if you need help with anything else or somehow got lost in the process and we will get back to you. Thanks.

33 Comments

Sibulele Sibulali · November 7, 2019 at 7:06 am

I have selected Value load…i would like to know how do i move the value load to transit load

admin · November 7, 2019 at 7:24 am

Hi Sibulele. Thanks for reaching out. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜Š You should be able to commute with value load.

Currently there is problems with Absa and loading money into the cards via Absa.

I will make a couple of calls and check what your next action can be.

Please hang on!

Thembisa Mokoena · November 7, 2019 at 9:47 am

Hi Admin,

This information helps thank you. I kept on changing Atm’s since last Friday thinking that maybe the ATM was faulty.

Dorothy Metoane · November 28, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Hi there

It was my first time loading on the ATM, so I have selected value load and then it says proceed and then, I did so, and then it returns the card, so I wanted to know what will happen to my money

admin · November 28, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Hey Dorothy. It’ll remain in value load. But won’t reflect when you take the bus.

Till Tshwane solves the issue with Absa, you NEED to load your card at Areyeng stations or at the Tshwane Help centre

Ntsevheni mokwebo · April 27, 2020 at 1:10 pm

I select value load instead of transit how can i get my money back

admin · April 27, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Hey there, as of 2020/04/27 it is not possible to get your money back.

However, you can still climb the bus because value load and transit will reflect on the bus car reader as credits.

Thato Sithole · November 19, 2019 at 8:36 am

Good Morning Admin, thank you so much for the great information.

I have been following the steps above for the passed few weeks but at the last step after i load the cash it tells me that the transaction is not allowed, returns my money and the card.

admin · November 19, 2019 at 6:45 am

Hi Thato, the problem is with Absa and Tshwane Bus Service. There is nothing wrong that you are doing.

They are still investigating the matter, we will try notify you once it is resolved.

In the meantime you will have to load your card at the customer help center in Town or other areas that provide card loading services.

Thank you.

admin · November 19, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Hi Thato, if you are nearby any Areyeng stations you can load your Tshwane Bus Service card at any Areyeng station.

Elize Johnson · January 30, 2020 at 11:55 am

Do you get yr extra points
I just had 433 on my card took a short trip less than 7km I am left with 411
And I just renewed my Pensioners card
Why
Today alone cost me over 50
Why why why
Off Peak time for us is 9 to 3
Not so
Please advice

admin · February 1, 2020 at 12:49 pm

That’s true you get points after recharging, can I ask how often does this happen? How often are you charged these amounts or was today the first time?

mpilo · March 3, 2020 at 12:53 pm

hey admin i have loaded a large amount on my card i then relocated because of family responsibility reason, i would like to know is it possible to get my cash back if i use absa atm. am in Kwazulu natal now

admin · March 3, 2020 at 11:18 am

Hey Mpilo. Unfortunately, it cannot be done at the moment.

Refunds are not currently supported.

We can explain your situation to people at Tshwane Bus Service and ask how you claim your money back.

Claudia · April 12, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Hi please help I selected value load not transit load
How do I get my money back

Claudia · April 12, 2020 at 5:37 pm

I choose wrong option, load value not transit value. How to get my money back

admin · April 12, 2020 at 3:45 pm

You can still climb the bus with load value. It’s not possible to get a refund. โ˜น๏ธ

Felo · August 19, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Hi I did loading on the internet bank app, so I went to the ATM bank absa to check my balance is R0. 00 how come because I did loading money R100 this morning

Percy Tshabalala · April 21, 2020 at 10:14 pm

Hey I have a problem I’ve loaded money to both transit and value load R300 and I only used the bus twice but now my balance it’s R16 , but when I check it from Absa it says R243

Ntsevheni mokwebo · April 27, 2020 at 1:15 pm

I select value load instead of transit how can i get my money back

Ntsevheni mokwebo · April 27, 2020 at 1:09 pm

I select value load instead of transit how can i get my money back

fortune · May 22, 2020 at 10:34 am

i need my money back for a family responsibility reason. how do i get my money back

Samkelo · September 16, 2020 at 7:49 pm

I bus card continues on saying that lower than 15 points but I loaded value points 2 days back so how can I change value points to transit points

Samkelo · September 16, 2020 at 7:55 pm

My bus card continues on saying that lower than 15 points but I loaded value points 2 days back so how can I change value points to transit k8

TSHEPO · November 26, 2020 at 1:28 pm

Hi Admin I loaded my card at an Absa ATM yesterday afternoon and when i tag my card in your buses this morning my balances its not showing and I checked at ATM and the funds are reflecting is there a solution for the funds to be re-loaded correctly or get my money back Regards, Tshepo

admin · January 30, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Hello. You would have to contact Absa and inform them of the problem.

Sarah · January 15, 2021 at 9:59 am

Good day I would like to know where my money goes to.. I loaded r300 at ABSA ATM now my card doesn’t have that money, I went to ShopRite to purchase food but it declined

Sarah · January 15, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Good day I have loaded my card with r300 at ABSA ATM now my card doesn’t have that amount, I went to church square with my query they told me to shop with my card as I did yesterday at ShopRite it declined now I want to know what must I do…will you help me please.

admin · January 30, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Hello, we cannot help either. Hopefully, you still have the deposit receipt and you can call Absa and inform them that the money was not loaded onto your card. If your card does not have that amount and you are certain that you followed all the correct steps then Absa is at fault therefore you can call them and rectify the mistake.

lesibs · February 1, 2021 at 11:24 am

i would like to know how do i check my balances in my card cause i have loaded it last week now when i check is 00:00

admin · February 9, 2021 at 8:30 am

Hello. There could be a couple of reasons for that. The first reason would be that you loaded your card incorrectly you need to re-read the blog and follow the steps. Transit load and also make sure you picked City Of Tshwane and Transit Stored Value as shown on the blog. Step 5 – 8 are very important.

To answer your questions you can re-read the blog https://locab.co.za/2019/10/16/load-your-tshwane-bus-service-card-at-absa/ then on step 5 you can either select ‘Balance’ or ‘Mini Statement’ another alternative would be visiting any of the service points
    Church Square Customer Centre: https://goo.gl/maps/r2nwiTHubaKjNHKN6
    Sammy Marks Square walk-in centre
    Kiosk inside Areyeng stations

and querying your balance

Lebohang Moeletsi · February 3, 2021 at 7:20 am

Hi admin I recently loaded my card at the Absa atm but my points donโ€™t reflect when I tap on the bus itโ€™s says my balance is low but on the atm it shows the correct balance

admin · February 9, 2021 at 8:34 am

A tip would be to go to the service points and load there if you are uncomfortable with the atm machines

Church Square Customer Centre: https://goo.gl/maps/r2nwiTHubaKjNHKN6
    Sammy Marks Square walk-in centre
    Kiosk inside Areyeng stations

or follow the steps while you are loading